
Hey all,
We are on our first official stop on the World Mission Tour. We arrived last night around 6PM. We ate supper provided by a bunch of Californian hippies. They came when the storm hit and have been here ever since. We admired their colorful buses--one dubbed "The Tornado Lounge" and another they made into a double decker and looks like a lion. After we ate and admired, Ryan got peer pressured into helping out in the dishroom, while Jessica worked on getting her nursing license for Mississippi. Meanwhile, Andrew and I met a guy, Pete, who is missing one leg and a house. We are planning to help him tomorrow with some logs in his front yard.
Today we helped ACTs, a Seventh-Day Adventist relief organization, build temporary housing for huricane survivors. Jessica and Andrew drilled in screws for dry-walling and for the floors. Ryan and Joy also helped put up drywall. I had the privilege of working with kids from Sunnydale Academy and Shenendoah Valley Academy picking up trash around the construction. I drove a heavy-duty cart around, we piled in trash, and then took it to various trash heaps. I felt kind of large and in charge, except when ten people would watch me try to back up the trailer on the back of the cart. I need to work on my skills a bit.
Jessica and I are now working on getting her license faxed to Mississippi and calling our contact in Mexico. The library, and many other places, has free internet, so that's how I've been able to communicate with you lovely people. The rescue people have definately been effective in providing free food, housing, and communication.

0 comments:
Post a Comment