Ephesus

|

Monday, May 15, 2006


Swimming Under Ancient Columns

Okay, I've been very atrasada in my writing. I've totally skipped out on all of Kusadasi. I have explanations though. We went to internet cafes everynight but the keyboards were impossible again and I had a hard time spending time a lot of time writing . For the first time on our trip we had to pay money to use email. We were definitely spoiled before Kusadasi. Ah, well.

Here is a brief overview and, well, random things about our trip:

Everynight we were harassed by the same two fellows to come and have hashish with them from the ubiquitous waterpipes. Everytime we came up with a new excuse followed by a garnish of "maybes." Turkish shopsellers and other people seem to have a mantra of questions they ask foreigners. "Where are you from?" "What hotel are you staying in?" "Won't you come just have a drink with us?" The hashish boys liked to ask us these questions everytime. Our last night, with pepperspray in hand, we were worried we'd have to encounter them again. Thankfully, they were not there.

The more creative phrases from various other folk was much more entertaining. On one tour, our bus or van door opened and a little man appeared and said, "Hello. (pause) I am here," touting postcards and souvenirs in his hands. The other funny expression came from various shopkeepers who would say, "Excuse me, yes, please." A little presumptious, eh?

Ah, but I love the Turkish people. I had no idea how they would be before I came on this trip. But the majority made me feel at home. Unfortunately, our first tourguide in Kusadasi was, to say the least, a bit slippery. Our first day in the area he took us to Ephesus in nearby Selcuck (If I return to this part of Turkey, I will stay in this charming little town.). This part of the tour for the most part went smoothly. We learned all about the people and beautiful ruins of the ancient city between two hills. We saw the public latrine where the men would sit on the pot (use the bathroom...of course after their servants had heated them with their bums) and discuss politics and who knows what else. What a grand idea. Too bad the ancients didn't allow structures like this for women. Maybe that is why we always have to "go to the bathroom in groups;" to make us for this injustice.

Besides the latrine we saw a relief of Nike, the goddess of victory and learned that the checkmark (as in, "I'm checking off on a piece of paper that I did the dishes, exercised, etc. on my things to do list.") is derived from her and means victory. So everytime one I put a checkmark beside all of those groceries I've bought, it's really a moment to celebrate. Grocery shopping victory.


We also saw a statue of Hermes. My favorite Greek/Roman god (hmm...is that wrong for me to have a favorite pagan god?) because he guides travelers, is a messenger, and also is associated with healing. That's why he deserves this whole paragraph.

Oh, yeah. The Celsius library, great theater (where Becky and I renacted being gladiators), and agora areas were pretty cool too.

After lunch with our other tour members with the normal citrus soup, bread, vegetables, and shish kabops and rice, the trouble began. Our guide had a different itinerary than we had. His had a lot less things planned for us to do than we were supposed to do. This produced a lot of discussion amongst everyone, calling of agencies, and emotions. We eventually got to do two of three of our planned activities (minus the carpet and ceramic exhibitions that everyone in our group had seen at least two times on other tours). I'm glad we fought to do them because they were worth the effort. The first was a visit to St. Mary's House. It is believed that Mary and John set up home in Ephesus after Jesus gave them to each other at the crucifiction. Today there is a small house with some of its original stones still intact. The rest has been reconstructed. We heard a religious service, lit candles inside the house, and drank water from a fountain that is supposed to make us live ten years longer. Becky wrote down wishes or prayers on a piece of toliet paper and tied it to a wall where other pieces of wish tissues are tied. She told me she wished for a "hot husband, a successful career, and a long life for her parents." :).




Well, that is all the time I have to write for now. I'll have to write about diving under ancient columns a bit later. Until then, I'm having a fabulous time on a Greek island called Samos. I love Greece already.

0 comments: