Naked Jogging

|
Tonight I went jogging by myself sin IPod; I forgot how wonderful it is. I remember in high school I used to jog all the time with nothing but my thoughts. Sometimes I'd jog with Ben or Summer, but often I'd be alone. It was hugely purifying--another way to worship. I think jogging works for me in this way because I'm doing something but am able to focus on basically just my ponderings. In every other situation (unless I'm on a boat at night in the middle of the ocean with pen and cruise stationary in hand), I seem to become too easily distracted by school, travel, friends, the media (dare I say, the internet?), whatever. It is so easy to distract oneself of what it really important--like one's relationship with God.

Distraction was one of the subjects I contemplated tonight. Ever since He-who-must-not-be-named I lost the idea and the conscious implementation of being the best person I can be in all areas of my life. Before I delibrately, for instance, would visit my grandfather once a week for lunch to be the best granddaughter I could be and maintain our good relationship with him. I also used to lift weights by myself and listen to the news at the same time in the morning to better my health and at the same time be a more knowledgeable world citizen. Some of these things that I knew in some form I wanted to keep in my life forever--consistent investment in relationships, health, the world such as in these examples--I neglected after, well, receiving a broken heart. Along with that I started questioning my faith as well.

But recently I have realized that these areas are important to me and that I need them consistently, no matter in what situation I am.

0 comments: