Bishop in the Fall

|
Our decision to go to Bishop for the long weekend was super last minute. We left late, pulled off the side of the road, and slept in some random part of the desert.

Our activities throughout the weekend continued to have a spontaneous-like tinge, but Darren has been to Bishop so many times--it's one of his favorite towns in the US--he knew where fun places would be to visit. After bathing at a rest stop, we visited Manzanar, the Japanese internment camp. I was super excited to see the place, because, besides being a history nerd, I remember being appalled when I finally learned there were internment camps. I don't ever remember learning about them in grade or high school, and had almost felt like my teachers had tried to hide something quite horrific from me. Not cool. I think it's important to learn about our country's good and not so good decisions.

Some other interesting activities we did:

-Soaking in hot springs under massive power lines...Yikes
-Hiking around the Bristle Cone Pines--the oldest living things on the planet
-Climbing White Mountain, the third highest peak in California with massive wind and participating in high altitude medical
experiments at the peak
-Climbing in Owen's River Gorge. Wow, it had been a long time since I'd done some sport climbing!
-And of course visiting the famous Schat's Deli for bread and sandwiches



























































Eastern Sierra Cookiness































Bristle Cone Pines: the oldest living things on the planet, next to the hottest living man on the planet
























































































The wind was super fierce on the way up White Mountain












Does Darren have ataxic gait?  You be the judge?













Helping out with altitude sickness medical experiments at over 14,000 feet. I wasn't excited about having my blood glucose level checked


Summit Success on White Mountain--The third highest peak in California



































Rock Climbing in Owen's River Gorge

This is why I love the 395

0 comments: