Papusas, Sand, and Dirt

|

Last weekend Darren and I kicked off our eleven monthserary by using our handy new GPS unit to find luscious food. I had rented a GPS this summer when we went to BC and we fell in love with it--probably because he and I both are accused somewhat rightfully of having no sense of direction. The GPS just makes things so much more relaxing.

Anyhoo, Darren spent a year in El Salvador a few years ago and wanted me to try papusas, patty like discs filled with beans, cheese, meat, zuccini, whatever! We found a restaurant on the GPS and followed the little Australian man that lives in the unit to a little hole in the wall place in Rialto. We had so much fun. The restaurant was small and filled at first with only guys. We immediately realized a karaoke fest was in full swing and the karaokers were GOOD! The friendly guy running the machine came up to us and invited us to sing. I was quite hesitant, but mid-eaten-papusa he spoke to us again and gave us the song book. I nonchalantly looked through it and found a few possibilities but I wasn't sure I really wanted to sing. Well, he put up "El dia que me quieras" and handed me the microphone. Then he loaded three Beatles songs and Darren and I attempted to sing them all before forcing him to take back the mics. I was somewhat embarrassed, but honestly it was really fun.

Later that night we watched some friends do an improv show, and then we drove to San Diego to visit Darren's sister and brother-in-law. On Saturday we went with them to church, Darren and I walked a pier and watched a surf competition at the beach, and then we all went to the church's fall fest. I was worried that it was going to be like the fall fest's we had in high school where everybody has booths with cheesy stuff to do like "Let's put all the hot guys in jail," or "Let's go outside and smash a car!" Either that or people sell a gazillion sugary substances. The church's fall fest was nothing like that. They performed funny medieval era skits, a man did magic, and there was a slide show of the church members during past events that even I found interesting. I was very impressed at how involved the church is. Although the members are of all ages, they seem to really enjoy doing things together. I hope I am lucky enough to be a part of something like that someday.

Sunday we went biking on Anderson Truck Trail with Darren's bro-in-law. I have never been on such a technical ride with huge ramps, drops, granite slabs, and massive rock gardens. I walked by almost all of those death traps, but I had fun watching the fellas kill it. Apparently the trail is a little controversial because the guy that owns the land isn't big into having mtn. bikers ride on it. Near the beginning of the trail, there is a massive steel wall attempting to block the path, but riders have cut it away enough in order to pass by it.

Darren and I had to leave soon after our ride so I could to get back to study, but it was nice to hang with the fam and play with Darren's nephew while they are living in the SoCal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

congratulations on your maniversary!

you talking about biking made me think about biking and thinking about biking made me think of this rock climbing place that i passed by a month ago on my bike. it's really cool, it's under a bridge and then goes upside down at one point. i don't know if you're that hardcore, but maybe you guys can do it when you come out, yes? yessssssss? i miss you!

Unknown said...

ps. i LOVE papusas!!!!

Unknown said...

Not to nit-pick with you two...but I believe it's pupusas, not papusas. Say it like "poooo." I believe papusas are Indian (or is that Native American??) babies. Here's the recipe for pupusas:

http://www.whats4eats.com/content/breads-pupusa-image

Stella, this bridge that you mention, where dat be??

Lorelei, I don't know if I mentioned it to you, but the Anderson Truck Trail that we rode is the same trail that Julee broke her neck on. So like you, I walk my bike around many of the stunts and rock gardens too.

Oh, and by the way, I WAS hoping that the fall festival was going to have a car-smashing booth!! The only thing better would have been a dunk tank with you, Lorelei, as the dunkee!!!