This weekend I mostly stayed in town and was actually able to go to church. The pastor had what I think is an interesting view of worship. We should not worship because we feel like it, but because God is worthy of it. I agree with that idea.
The only aspect of the sermon I was hesitant about was when the pastor said if we don't show the right worshipful attitude, we should leave the sanctuary and pray, so as not to bring others down. I don't think people should be disrespectful, but sometimes all one can do is just be there. At one point in my life I remember being so low in my spiritual experience that I purposefully put myself in a worshipful environment (i.e. summer camp) to try to reconnect with God even though I did not have the gumption to be very worshipful. Perhaps it is in these sort of situations the tables are sort of turned, and the worship helps the downtrodden person again realize that God is worthy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i love you
Hey, Are you in town? What are you'll up to this weekend? Climb, hike, or whatever.
So that was what the sermon was about. I, on the other hand was enjoying the sermon entitled "Eyelids." It's a personal favorite of mine.
I agree with you. Even if you are lacking the gumption to worship God or are somehow in the spiritual doldrums, I believe that it's helpful to place yourself amongst other believers. Often times, in our post-modern American culture (I have no idea what I just said) we believe that our spiritual journey is all about self. But I feel that's what community and relationships are all about. That's why God created marriage and the Church, to lift each other up when we are spiritually low.
Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with what Sooj had to say up-thread about the subject. I couldn't have said it better!!
DD
Post a Comment