Becky and I's Weekend Adventure to Venice, Italy

|
Thank the Lord that I have such adventurous friends!  I'll write more later, but basically this is what happened:  Becky (you can read about our trips to Ecuador Sept. '08 and Turkey/Greece May '06 in this blog website as well) called me on Wednesday afternoon, told me there were cheap tickets to Venice and asked if I wanted to go with her for the weekend.  After about 2 hours or so, I had my ticket and Thursday after my morning class I was on my way!

We had a glorious Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning in Venice exploring churches, admiring art and history in museums, ferrying to various islands, shopping for lace and glassware, cruising canals, and eating lots of Italian food (gelatto, pizza, gnocchi...yum!).  We really were going non stop and saw a TON in a short amount of time.  It was a crazy decision, but as Becky later told me, when we are 80 years old we'll be so glad we didn't miss out on these spontaneous adventures.  I think she is right, so that is why I go.


Here was our itinerary:

Thursday, May 7: Travel towards Europe

Friday, May 8: Layover in France and then onto Venice by 5PM; taking Alilaguna to Lido, pesto pasta supper, walking around collecting sand and looking at the Giro de Italia stuff set up

Saturday, May 9: breakfast outside with a crazy bird, San Marco plaza, Correr Museum, San Marco Basilica, Campanile, flirting with gondoliers (okay, just taking a picture with them), lunch in the park, Doge Palace, Rialto Bridge, Becky's Texan (okay, he took a picture for us), Friari Church, wandering, Grand Canal, Dueling orchestras, meager pizza

Sunday, May 10: Burano, Torcello, Palladian church, ferry to San Toma to Friari Church, Guggenheim, Academia, pizza, Dosoduro, canal, Rialto bridge, San Marco square

Monday, May 11: Fly back to the states at 11:35AM

1 comments:

Angela said...

Okay, so how much were the tickets? How did she find a deal like that? How fun!