
Towering over Tara and Joy during my first trip to Rocky Mountain National Park!
When I was little, my father always used to mention that I tend to always choose the most expensive option whether I know it or not. I'd like to think that it's because I inherently have good taste ;). Although I do not always indulge in my high desires, I still value quality over quantity. And I guess this taste has spilled into areas in which I'd like to live for a while: Denver and San Francisco (the latter I've heard is the most expensive city to live in in the entire US of A). Alas, I love their weird cultural events, the fact that one can take capoeira and swing classes in them, their active young communities, and the nature activities that surround them. I have determined, however, that the only way I'm ever going to afford living in these places (without selling my soul and living in a track house) is going to be in this:

Sure it seems crazy, and it probably won't ever happen, but I've had a lot of fun contemplating the idea in the last couple days.
Here are some of the negatives:
1. no place to poo--we'd have to use a poop tube if we had to potty at night unless we were in the woods
2. no laundry facilities--I'd have to buy a washboard ;) it doubles as an instrument, right?
3. where would one park it safely? (BLM land, friends' driveways, etc.)
4. vehicles depreciate while houses appreciate (or so we once thought!)
5. lack of storage--more impetus to buy quality and VERY little quantity
6. collecting gas and water when it runs out of their tanks
7. having to deal with car maintenance
8. no dish washer
9. in tight courters, Darren and I have the potential of driving each other mad
10. we wouldn't be taking advantage of the refund $8000 tax money
But, hmm, the positives:
1. could be paid off in 2 years or less
2. a place to live while spending more money on land in order to preserve it and eventually building a home
3. less to clean
4. no yard to take care of
5. no furniture to buy
6. one can live anywhere
7. no leases to tie one down anywhere
8. not throwing away money in renting a house if we aren't sure we want to settle in one place
9. would free more money up for travel and to pay off school loans
what do you think, oh reader? :) I almost believe that with our zero maintenance lifestyle Darren and I could pull it off if we really wanted to. I mean, back in 2005 I practically lived in a Land Cruiser on and off for 3 months...and that was with 4 other people with me (including the gal in the picture above. It was great to see her before she goes gallivanting abroad once again). Perhaps that was just preparation ;).

5 comments:
If you get a VW van it better be tie-dyed. :) Also, you might what something a little larger. Look here: http://www.sportsmobile.com/index.html
doesn't sound crazy to me, Lorelei. i'm of the mind that God intended nature to be enjoyed by us. seems like you and Darren have a plan to boot, so it's not like you're throwing caution to the wind (just a few of those quality, i.e., expensive, things you might like...hehe). whatever you decide, i wish good on ya!
Montie, I like the way you think.
Positive #10. If you don't like your neighbors, just fire the ignition and say good riddance and good bye to your neighbors Ned, Rod, and Todd Flanders! (Not Maude, she died in season 11, thank goodness!)
True story about San Francisco. I live in a 250 square feet flat and pay more than my dad who has a 3 story home with 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, a fireplace, and 2-car garage. But you know... I get to live in San Francisco!!! Worth it.
Also, you need to check out this:
http://fillyourwell.blogspot.com/2009/07/calling-all-rock-climbers-who-cant.html
I thought of you when I saw it.
Pssh, just vagabond around Golden Gate Park for a while. You would occasionally have a knife fight with other hobos, but that's what the Capoeira classes are for!
Post a Comment