I recently heard on the radio that someone had done research and found that people who work ten hour days are more likely to have heart disease. This may be true, but I appreciate the world of four day, ten hour work weeks. If it were not for them, Darren and I would not have been able to meet up with our friends Amanda and Rob this past Thursday. Amanda had half price tickets for Aspen and showed us the mountain. It was beautiful and gave us a great view of the Maroon Bells from the top of the gondola. I was also surprised to find that most of the skiers we met were extremely friendly. We shared our first gondola with a loquacious man who shared that he loved being divorced: "I get to hang out with my kids one weekend, then leave them with my ex-wife and fly to Italy or Aspen for the weekend." Amanda told us that's just the sort of person that one finds here in Aspen. The resort is quite a bit further from Denver then Vail and Breckenridge, so those who can afford to fly in enjoy much more exclusivity and shorter chair lines.
Although Aspen was beautiful, I enjoyed their affiliate Snowmass even more. As we slid down to the first gondola, I recognized to my surprise that this was the first resort I ever snowboarded on back in 1999. My friend Christy and I had no idea what we were doing, didn't get a lesson, and just bumped and collapsed down the bunny hill working on our ever growing bruises. I don't think we even realized that there was a massive mountain to explore--we didn't have the skills to even attempt to find that out.
Thankfully my skills have developed enough so that I was able to navigate the snowy mass with Darren and Amanda. We ended the day buying way too many cookies in Snow Mass village and enjoying a ritzy Mexican supper with Rob in Aspen. I'm so glad we are near such a fun couple, at least for a few months.
The Maroon Bells are somewhere behind us
Amanda showing us the good spots in Aspen
Hiking up to a more remote ski run








0 comments:
Post a Comment