This morning we woke up sometime around 4 or 5AM because we had gone to bed so early on the ferry. We were so awake that we gave up, took showers, and meandered up to the deck to watch the beautiful sunrise over Crete. After about an hour or less, we arrived at the island, bought our tickets to Chania for the afternoon, than found the bus to Knossos. It was so early, that when we arrived all of the cafes and the palace site were still closed. Finally, one cafe let us sit for expensive coffee and soon after the site opened where we bought breakfast pastries. A lady from the Union of Santorini and Crete guides approached us and asked if we wanted a tour of the site for 10 euros each. I do not have a very in depth guide book, and I was sick of reading displays, so I thought this would be a good idea. The only problem was that we needed a group of six for her to be able to guide us. We waited at least a half hour and almost gave up, but some folks with a baby, and a couple with a baby showed agreed to join the group around 9AM or so and we were off. Crazily I learned that one of the Argentinians was from Entre Rios, and she knew of my university.
Anyhow, during our tour from "Mama Moomoo," we learned all about the ancient Minoans, their palace, natural air conditioning using corridors, Sky lights and Windows, sea and floral motif frescos, processions, labirinthian rooms, water pipes, humongous storage jars, and the myths and archaeology that go along with the site.
I was really happy for the fabulous tour and that we had gone to it before the archaeology museum we went to after a lunch of Greek salad, mousaka, and some Cretan appetizer. In the museum we saw the originals taken out of the site for preservation plus the Cretan history with objects all in context and chronological order. The museum reopened just two years ago after being closed for eight years for improvements, and I think they have done a marvelous job.
After having our museum fill, we wandered the pedestrian city streets and found the old church, harbor, and fort with obvious Venetian influence from when they were in power of Crete. The lion was ubiquitous.
Finally we returned to the bus station to take the three hour bus ride to Chania. To my delight there was decent wifi on board, so I did some travel research and even booked us a place to stay in Thessolaniki.
When we reached Chania, our house host met us and walked with us to our apartment. I thought I was paying decent attention, but later this evening after exploring the old town, Darren and I wandered around the streets for who knows how long looking for the correct apartment door. Finally we walked to a coffee shop with free wifi and I found the correct address. Finally we have been able to get our bed and can catch a few hours before our ten plus mile hike tomorrow. Yikes.

0 comments:
Post a Comment