I remember I didn't feel like I bonded too much with my class my last year in high school. I remember starting the year out super excited to have the "best senior year ever!" I even won "Most Class Spirit." And then as the plague of senoritis hit more and more of us, as most of the officers got kicked out of their offices for drinking on our class trip (I wasn't part of that group, but it was still a downer), and as many of the boys became meaner and meaner to me (I think because I wouldn't re-date one of their friends...but I'm still not really sure why), and drama increased more and more, I was sort of over high school. Graduation came along and I found that I would miss more of the faculty then my fellow seniors and that I was more then ready to pack up and leave campus.
That is what I remember about my senior year, but in reality when I search my mind further I remember I had a LOT of fun, fun experiences with wonderful people: spiritual acrosports routines, hanging with GP in the student center, road trips with the 2-gether crew gals in my green mini-van, "The Hulk," evenings working on the school newspaper and meeting wonderful new people, quiet times working alone on Remembrances, playing the guitar and sharing poetry with Tara, senior Bible studies at Pastor Mark's house, and I could go on.
Returning to my 10 year was really a blessing. I was really excited to show Darren North Carolina and visit some friends from Guam, but I was also happy to re-get to know my old classmates. It seemed a lot easier talking to everyone then it had been in high school. Kind of weird, but I felt a stronger unity with us because we had all had this shared unique experience together. A bunch of us went out to eat at the Mellow Mushroom and everything just felt at ease...something that I don't know would have happened in high school. Maybe we are just more mature?
Anyhoo, I had fun seeing everyone and showing Darren the school.
"And this is near where I tore my lip in two..."
If only we had realized the opportunities of gym crack climbing in high school!
Bouldering the senior bell tower
I took Darren to the Arboretum which I had actually never been to.
It was necessary that we get coffee at Double D's
At Mellow Mushroom with my friend Re-Nut (aka Renee), part of the 2gether crew
Sunday, exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway and, of course, checking out Looking Glass (although we didn't climb)
Darren totally poached sliding rock. I wish I would have joined him!












0 comments:
Post a Comment