We traveled with our favorite Pueblo peeps, Ben and Holly to one of their old ice climbing stomping grounds relatively close to Alamosa: Wolf Creek Pass. They invited their friend Jack whom is probably or at least was one of the best ice climbers in the world and has done some of the hardest routes in the world. Now he is probably in his 60s and still a beast. Apparently he has guns of steel and I believe it with the way he barreled up the ice.
Some of the reasons I loved climbing at the pass was the 5-10 minute approach and the fact that we were able to climb in the sun. Holly told me that one time she was able to ice climb in her sports bra. This is almost never possible anywhere.
Holly and Darren scaling the ice
Jack demonstrating that he still is an ice star
Sunday we did a lot more hiking and were in a lot more shade, but ended up at a very stout piece of ice. I've never ice climbed something so difficult (it was a different route than the one pictured below). I ended up swinging, hanging, and basically taking forever but finally made it up to the top. Poor Ben had been belaying me from the top, and I'm sure he was just as tired as I. I now know, however, that ice climbing can require just as much skill as that on the rock.




0 comments:
Post a Comment