Steinbeck Lovin' Gimp

|
ver spring break, my naughty left side of my body decided to injure itself AGAIN, and now I'm officially a gimp.

Because I can't do the normal activities I enjoy, don't want to spend all my free time pondering the future, nor reading textbooks, I've delved into The Winter of My Discontent by John Steinbeck.

Steinbeck for some time been my favorite author. My strange affinity to the Depression era first led me to him, and his revelations on human life, behavior, relationships, and culture have kept me reading him. Every Steinbeck book I read makes me say to myself, "That is so true!"

Even though I think one really needs the context of a book to fully appreciate these following passages, I thought I'd share them anyways because I'm a nerd like that:

"Wee Willie gets lonesome and loves to talk, and then later he talks about what he talked about. Quite a few small but nasty scandals have grown out of Willie's loneliness." (p.38)

"..the Fouth of July and Labor Day are the biggest holidays. People go away even when they don't want to." (p.53)

"Money is a crass and ungracious subject only when you have it." (p.58)

"I wonder how many people I've looked at all my life and never seen. It's scary to think about. Point of reference again. When two people meet, each one is changed by the other so you've got two new people Maybe that means--hell, it's complicated. I agreed with myself to think about such things at night when I couldn't sleep." (p.61)

"A man who tells secrets or stories must think of who is hearing or reading, for a story has as many versions as it has readers." (p.70)

"So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out." (p.71)

0 comments: