Christian soldiers are taught to either flee or fight. I wrote these verses on Darren Friday night due to lack of paper. Check them out!
During my stay here in Guam I've once again been surrounded with people who at least have a titch of mission mindedness. Constantly there are evangelistic meetings, health fairs, Bible studies, etc. and I've been reminded that although I don't think I've been leading a bad life, I do think it could be fuller. I've gone on so many trips, adventures, etc. in the past five years, but I think that I have been storing up more treasures (for me in the form of experiences, not money. As the book Franny and Zooey suggests, perhaps what we store up is not limited to money) on earth than in heaven. I never want to stop adventuring. In fact, I believe God gave us so many distinct cultures and nature because he wants us to explore them. But I think I need to shift my focus in all areas of life more fully on spiritual things instead of making spirituality and my relationship with God just a seasoning that occasionally I sprinkle onto my life. I would like Him to be the meat (or tofu...whatever) of my life. Admittedly, I think right now He needs to be at least more frequently sprinkled. We all are on different parts of our journey.
This past weekend, Darren and I went to a seminar about how to give Bible studies and go...duh, duh, dah...door knocking. When I heard that were were going to be door knocking I immediately scrunched up my face in horror, not just because I am intimidated by the prospect of doing it, but I unfortunately admit that I had put "door knocking" in the category of people shoving pamphlets in my face, carrying signs with doomsday messages, etc.
But as we listened to the lectures, I became impressed by the method the speakers were presenting to us to introduce people to Someone who cares for them. Basically it involves going to someone's door, asking them a survey, talking with them as a friend, and just asking them if they want to have Bible studies with us. That's it. Just offering the possibility of exploring the Bible and making new friends.
It's an easier prospect to think about doing in Guam because people are so friendly, willing to chat, and to go do things with here. Already Darren and I have received numerous phone numbers from local people we've randomly met hiking, rock climbing, etc. (mostly non-Adventist, by the way) who have offered to go with us or take us on more adventures. Anyways, Darren and I did end up meeting a lady who was extremely nice, genuine, and willing to study with us, and although we only have a few weeks here left, I pray that it will be a good thing for us all. I am squeamish admitting this to the world wide web, but I honestly feel like I've been so disconnected.
I wanted to share with readers some of the material they gave us from the different seminars. I don't know if I agree 100% with everything. I have to ponder it all out, but I do believe a firm foundation of how to grow personally and share is vital.
Personal Preparation
"And, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace." Ephesians 6:15
Footwear is not the most glorified of the soldiers armor. Most would rather talk of sword, and shield, and helmet. However, the footwear is an intrinsic and inescapable part of the armor of God, for it is the footwear that allows us to run our race of faith, even to the farthest reaches of the earth. Shod your feet indeed! There are three primary methods by which we personally prepare for evangelism. The are Bible study, prayer, and sharing with others.
Introduction
Have you ever tried praying with your head on the pillow in the morning? "Saved" your morning devotions for the drive to work? Fallen asleep during prayer? Like the Israelites, we need to collect the lving manna early in the morning. Without it, we will starve the rest of the day.
Bible Study
Why the word of God? According to Matthew 4:3, 4, the Word of God was Jesus' weapon to defeat the wily foe. Jeremiah 15:16 affirms that study of God's word should bring much joy to the Christian. Through Bible study we (a) Get to know Jesus (John 5:39); (b) Develop a safeguard against sin (Psalms 119:11); (c) Learn to use our weapon of warfare (Matthew 4:3,4); and (d) Gain discernment between right and wrong (Hebrews 4:12).
Methods
1. Topical/Doctrinal-the "line upon line" method, wehere verses on a subject are weighed together to form a conclusive Bible teaching on a specific subject.
2. Memorization: Take time each day to hone your ability to memorize portions of God's word. Visit http://www.fast.st/fast/index.php for a free memorization course
3. Read through overview: be able to answer "Yes" to those who ask you if you have read the Bible before. Your Amazing Facts Bible reading plan would be a great place to start
4. Devotional: feed the soul daily with readings from the Gospels, the Psalms, etc.
Tools
Bible, concordance and dictionary, notebook, pen, pencil crayons
Prayer
"Prayer is the opening of the heart to God as to a friend. Not that it is necessary in order to make known to God what we are, but in order to enable us to receive Him. Prayer does not bring God down to us, but brings us up to Him." SC 93
Why do we pray?
1. Transfer allegiance from self to God (Luke 22:42)
2. Angels enlisted in God's service for us (Daniel 10:12)
3. Forgivenss (1 John 1:9)
The model prayer (Matthew 6:9-13)
Begin and end glorifying and praising God (v. 9, 13)
Invite Him into your life today (v. 10)
His will, not yours (v. 9)
Ask for things sufficient for the day (v. 11)
Pray for forgiveness and a forgiving heart (v. 12)
Victory over evil (v. 13)
Tips
Begin your devotions in prayer. Come boldly before the Father in the name of Jesus. Be systematic. Keep records of prayer requests, plan your prayers for each day, and, as you thus monitory your prayer life, watch and see the marvelous ways whereby the Lord answers. Above all, pray for the Holy Spirit each day.
Witnessing
Is witnessing necessary? "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." Revelation 22:17
Why is it necessary? "God could have reached His object in saving sinners without our aid; but in order for us to develop a character like Christ's, we must share in His work. In order to enter into His joy--the joy of seeing souls redeemed by His sacrifice--we must participate in His labors for their redemption." DA142
Who? "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people." Revelation 14:6 Of course the angel is symbolic. We are called to be God's end-time messengers.
The following are simple ways in which we can witness:
1. Character-"A kind, courteous Christian is the most powerful argument that can be produced in favor of the gospel." HP 181
2. Peculiarity-"Concerning Israel, the Lord declared: "The people shall dwell alone, and shall not be reckoned among the nations." Numbers 23:9. To us as well as to ancient Israel these words apply. God's people are to stand alone." 7T 109
Claim these Bible promises to help overcome possible objections you may have:
1. Lack of knowledge? (Read 2 Corinthians 8:12)
2. Fear? (Read Psalm 34:4)
3. Not my "gift"? (Read Revelation 14:6; Ephesians 4:11)
4. Just the pastor's job? (Read Acts 8:1-4)
Bible Study--How to Write and Present
Biblical Basis for Bible Study
Phillip and the eunuch (Acts 8:26-42)
There is much work to be done (Matthew 9:36-38)
Preach the word (2 Timothy 3:16-4:5)
Be ready to defend what you believe (1 Peter 3:15-17)
Hide God's word in your heart (Psalm 119:11)
How to Write a Bible Study
Write out the purpose of each study. What is it that you are trying to accomplish in this study?
1. Begin with an introduction
--grabs the attention of the Bible student
--has smooth transitions from intro to body
2. The Body is the main portion of the Bible Study
--7-10 texts that support the subject/topic of study
--Use illustrations that support topic
--Ask questions that the Bible answers
--Smooth transitions from text to text
3. End with appeal
--Should be a linking phrase from appeal to intro
--The appeal should be appealing, write it out first
--This is where the listener is encouraged to accept the offer
--Use appropriate verbiage
--Remember that it's Christ you are trying to glorify and the heart you are trying to reach
Bible Study Aids
1. Charts
2. Illustrations (parables, stories)
3. Personal Experiences
Before Actual Study
--Pause for prayer
--Socialize with the Bible student before the study
--Have a prayer to transition to study
Bible Study Presentation
--Don't assume their level of knowledge
--Agree with people as you can
--Stay focused on your topic
--If they ask questions off topic, handle them appropriately
During Bible Study
--Maintain proper eye contact and posture
--Ask questions that will engage the student
--Don't be afraid if you don't know the answer
--Be attentive of concern the student may have
--Speak clearly and expressively
Leading to Decision
Use a verse where God asks for a decision like Hebrews 4:7
Things to Remember
--Keep Bible study within 45-60 minutes
--Be optimistic and don't give up
--Be consistent with your students
--Go two by two if at all possible for safety and support
--Be a good listener
--People's opinions are important. Let the Bible prove itself.


0 comments:
Post a Comment