Our Consolation Peak

|

Registering at the trailhead with the intention to rock climb Crestone Needle, a North American Classic Climb
Saturday we leisurely hiked to the South Lake, fly-fished, ate a ton of food, stored our gear at the start of our climb, and camped.  Then we realized that I had left my long pants many miles back at the car.  We made the difficult decision to not do Crestone Needle--a committing technical route--and instead hike up Humboldt Peak.  It is still a 14er, but one in which I wouldn't have to be freezing while belaying.

On Sunday morning we had incredible fog everywhere, but by the time we began, it had mostly burned away.
This crazy looking flower-plant was strewn all along the path


I used to think that marmots were mythical creatures.  Let me assure you, they are not.  The trail resounded with their chirping.

The top!  The hike was much easier than Holy Cross, but much windier
Baby Marmots!  Their mom was not happy with us.  This is her in mid-chirp

Some sort of mountain goat
hiking pole daps for another 14er completed!

We stopped in Westcliffe for a bounty of Mexican food and ice cream

3 comments:

kimbirdy said...

that looks amazing! i want to hike there. and those marmots are adorable!

Unknown said...

Humm, maybe you're bad luck. I seem to remember a trip to Looking Glass where we forgot to bring the rope.

Unknown said...

I loved the little marmot chirps, and you had some great photos of the little guys. Looks like a fabulous trip! Miss ya...