Wedding Day!

|
Around 6 or 7AM I got a phone call from our hair dressers that they were just about to the house. I had tried to go to sleep somewhat early the previous night, but was only mildly successful and dreamily opened the door when they arrived. Olivia, I believe, graciously acquiesced to join me on the first round of hair sculpture. The hair gals were adorned in 40s garb (they were going to go to a vintage potluck after finishing with us) and equipped with swing Christmas music. That and with the help of Lori's father who stopped by bearing bagels and coffee from Panera, we had a somewhat lucid and peaceful morning. Actually we weren't all finished until around 1PM. The girls had battled getting on all their dresses with out messing up their hair (the dresses in the 40s apparently had side zips only...donning the dresses was a team effort--for my dress too!), those who didn't already have on nail polish varnished their nails (Thanks Becky! I'll never make you do that again.), and they pinned 40s brooches Mandy had searched for and bought at vintage stores. I meanwhile got my first glance at the bouquets and boutonnieres that my aunt dropped off. I was so excited because in them I found my favorite flower, the peony, and...CABBAGE! Yes, like the kind one eats.

Here's how the cabbage became a part of our wedding: Last Friday morning, I went with my father, aunt, second cousin, and Darren at 5AM to get wedding flowers at the L.A. Flower Market (Where, as we were zooming through an endless sea of flowers, I had another celeb sighting! I didn't know her name and could not think of what movie I had seen her in, but I recognized that she was famous. Finally that night or the next I remembered that she was the daughter in the film What Women Want. I Wikipediaed the cast and found that she was Ashley Johnson. Woo!) Darren and I only had an hour or so to look around because we had to go to the Wayfarer's Chapel for our rehearsal (only we were required to go). All of us dashed around myriads of flowers. Unfortunately winter flowers are generally not my favorite, and as I passed rows and rows of poinsettias I became quite downtrodden. However, back in the furthest corner of the last section that Darren and I had to time to see, we found some pretty red flowers. My aunt was looking for green and cream flowers and foliage to match them when the stall worker pointed out some green and cream cabbage. My aunt proceeded to punch him in the arm and yell, "This is for her wedding!!" The man, meekly cowering apologized profusely. Then I quietly said, "I kind of like them." My aunt replied something like, "Okay, well, then we'll buy a few!" and grabbed two stems. Darren and I had to dash off to the chapel, so I didn't know if she had really bought them, and I definitely didn't know if she would actually use them. But was so stoked to find that she, in fact, sort of made them a key part. I think they helped reflect the "uniqueness" of Darren and I and our wedding.
































Crystal, our photographer, came to the house just as the girls and I were getting the finishing touches of our hair, makeup, etc. and packing up all our stuff. The camera snapping quickly began, and she helped usher the gals into vehicles so we could meet the guys and have enough time to take lots of crazy pictures. It was sort of surreal traveling with my sisters, Olivia, and Crystal, driving through Rancho Palos Verdes (a town Darren and I have come to known quite well through all of our trips there in the past months. Our favorite landmark is the billboard that says "Your ridiculously bubbly even in rush hour traffic" in reference to some soft drink. Every time we'd pass it, he would inevitably say it to me), listening to Jessica's Day Mix CD and thinking that my wedding day was really beginning. This would be the only time I would ever have this moment.

Because of my ponderings, but more likely because of my poor sense of direction, I pointed out the wrong turn for Point Vicente Center. A few minutes later when we finally arrived, I could see the guys near the cliffside in the distance. Crystal had the girls meet them first, and then called me to tell me to walk out and meet Darren for the first time of the day. He was facing the ocean, but turned around when he could hear my voice. We got all giddy when we saw each other and Crystal began our super fun photo session. Darren, our wedding party, and I jumped around, made superstar poses, looked bored, and, of course, flashed prom smiles. I can't wait to see them all.  (For more photos visit Crystal's website)




And then came the wedding...

Signing our wedding license at Wayfarer's Chapel
The Wedding!


We had a beautiful sunset after the service

The Reception!

Pastor Mark did a fantastic job as the MC
Zack and Mandy sang "Lucky" by Jason Mraz. I had asked them to sing it at our reception before the song was even popular. They, as always, sounded awesome. I have such talented family :).

I believe Becky reluctantly caught the bouquet

Leuellyn chivalrously accepted the webbing garter

The Padre and I danced to "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon. We had to be careful because he had just had some surgery in his abdomen, so we mostly swayed around.

Darren and I busting out "The Window" during our first dance

Woah! Rolling behind the back!

The Winters Family Gals


Rocking the 'staches





Assessing the havoc of my vehicle at our first honeymoon spot: Inn at Playa del Rey. We had had to stop by the side of the road just out of the gate at Cabrillo Beach in order to remove the cans attached to my bike pole.




0 comments: