Back in Argentina, I met my father in Buenos Aires. I had arrived the night before him sharing a cab with a very enthusiastic gal from Neuquen. Our cab driver was from San Luis and a little new to Buenos Aires, but he found his way and the gal jovially shared Swiss chocolate with us all. We dropped her off first, and then my cab driver drove me around to different hostels. After three or four told me they were full, I went to the old standby, Victory Hotel. I ended up being grateful because I figured I could sleep in and they would just tell my father when he came in the next morning that I was upstairs.
Unfortunately, they did not do so. The poor man waited in the lobby for me for two hours before I hobbled downstairs, worriedly wondering where he was. I guess they did not look me up on the computer and told him I was not there. He was just glad to see me. I let him check in and then we headed to Retiro to buy tickets for Mercedes and then to take a train to Tigre, a marshy land about an hour´s ride from downtown Buenos Aires.
At Tigre, we took a touristic boat that gave us a guided tour around some of the vast residential and museum laden areas of the marsh. After the tour, we walked to the Mercado de Frutos, but it was Sabbath and I think the temptation to buy things was too great for my father, so we decided to go back to Buenos Aires. We had eaten a massive lunch in Recoleta and had planned to eat a light lunch, but somehow regained hunger, so we called Martin and invited him to eat at Empire Thai with us. It´s a tradition!

0 comments:
Post a Comment