Sunday morning we went to San Telmo. I love San Telmo primarily because I love all things from the swing era and the fair is chock full of items from that era.
I always see the same old and young couple Tango dancing in the square. I've danced with the older gentleman a few times, and I have to admit that I'm a pretty sucky follow. Just look at how uncomfortable I look.
We returned early, grabbed some empanadas, and then were taken to a Boca soccer game! We went with a tour because everyone has always told me how dangerous games can be. In fact, my father and I had seen on the news the night before a group of crazy fans throwing rocks into the rival teams bus. I must say it would have been a little confusing going by ourselves the first time. We followed our "guide" up numerous winding stairs passing tons and tons of people on the way.
During the game, it did get a little crazy. Someone lit a fire in one of the bottom floors. I looked over across the stadium and said, "Dad, I think I see flames over there." Well, they got things under control (the fire at least) and the game went on as normal. Before the game began, numerous guys passed out bundles of little pieces of paper for us to use as confetti. When Boca came out, showers of these papers descended and the players kicked them around the whole game. In futbol, a player has to keep kicking, no matter what obstacles fall to the field. During the pregame and halftime I enjoyed watching the boristas (cheerleaders) because all they did was twirl around streamers--not even at the same time. Also, throughout the entire game people played instruments and sang. In fact one side of the stadium never, NEVER stopped singing. I saw in the merch stands that one can buy a CD with all the fight songs. I wish I would have bought one so next time I can be prepared. Drat. Instead I focused my money on warm wear because, as I've mentioned, it was freezing!
Thankfully, they did not need my extra songs because Boca tore it up anyways. Screams and fist pumps abounded as they smashed the poor country team from, I think Jujuy, three to one. For the first time I had watched a live futbol match, and what a great match it was!

0 comments:
Post a Comment